Tuesday, April 17

I've been BAD!

Well, here I am. Mandy, thanks for the book recommendations.

Didn't make it to the Rez on Saturday. No, it wasn't the weather (although I heard it was cancelled bc of the storm). I woke up LATE! I set the alarm and apparently turned it off, instead of hitting the snooze. I don't recall doing it, but I opened my eyes at 7 AM. For those of you who don't know, I live in Hazlehurst, and it takes 1 hr to get to the Rez.

Anyhoodles, I fed the kids, and sat around watching the rain. Then tackled the mountain of dirty laundry, and around 6, headed to Outback to take my husband out for his birthday.
No walking/running that day.

Sunday, more laundry. Took husband out for birthday celebration numero dos, this time with all the kids in tow. Came home in a "Mexican food coma" and took a very short nap (less than 1 hr). No training.

See the pattern?

Yesterday, I was off from work. Time for some serious house cleaning. Have I mentioned I hate housework? Well, with the traveling in the past months, my house hadn't been thoroughly cleaned in a while. So I did that yesterday. Non stop from 9:30 to 3:30. Non-stop, I kid you not. I was exhausted by the time I got thru.
I went to the track and could only manage to walk 25 min. My knees hurt, but I think it was from moving stuff around while cleaning. I'm planning on getting out there tonight and trying to at least do 40 min.

So I've been bad. I really have no right to complain about how hard this is, considering I haven't been sticking to the training as I should. So I won't.

I will, however, rant about body issues. ok, I'm not one to obsess about weight. As long as my clothes fit, I don't care what the scale says. Since I got married, I have gained a few pounds, my body has changed thru pregnancies, but all in all, I've managed to go back to my pre-pregnancy clothes both times.

So I figured, once I started this training, I would drop some pounds, and clothes should fit better, right? WRONG.
I cannot get into pants that fit just a month ago (when I went to Orlando). The scale says I still weigh the same as I did then, but I cannot get into them.
I'm beyond frustrated, I thought it was my eating so since going to Orlando, I've been more conscious of what I eat, etc. NOTHING. No change.

So instead of shopping for smaller sizes, I'm shopping for bigger ones! So that's that. Another salad for lunch. I'm morphing into a rabbit, in the hopes that if my eating habits are the problem, I'll see some numbers change on the scale.

7 comments:

Kim said...

((HUGS)) The things you did weren't bad things! I missed nearly 2 weeks of training & am already back in the groove. Remember, don't slash the other tires!!

Here's hoping today is a great one for you!!! :)

The Miller's Blog said...

Kayra,
You must know by now that we all have bad days and weeks. My week last week started off badly. But, I have been doing better this week. You just have to realize, as I am learning, that this is part of the process. One day at a time and always do the best you can do. That's all you can do. We are all in this together. Bad days and all. You'll come out of that slump (as Cheryl puts it). Keep doing your best!!! See you Saturday.

catseye said...

It's hard to believe when what you see and feel doesn't mesh up, but trust me, as Mark says, changes are happening and before long they'll be noticible.

I never much subscribed to that philosophy, but of late am becoming a convert. I am beginning to see the method in Mark's madness and here's what I think (for what it's worth).

The first 10 weeks of walking help build the muscle base that we need to start running. However, after the first couple of weeks, walking 3.5 mph or so isn't really that hard anymore and our heart rate doesn't get into the aerobic range. So, unless we take significant calorie reductions in our diet, we don't see much in the way of weight change.
Once we start running, though, our heart rate gets up and stays in the aerobic range. BINGO! The weight starts to come off -- and voila, the magic 12 weeks (we've started to run by then).
This is all my theory and what I've read in books, etc., but I know it to be true for me. Walking alone -- unless you are a speed walker -- really doesn't do much for rapid weight loss. I believe over time (long time) you'll see a weight loss with walking as long as your eating habits aren't out of whack, but the loss is slow.
However, once you add running to the mix, your heart rate will increase to help you pump blood to those big muscles in your legs and that will increase your metabolism. For me, once I started running and getting my heart rate consistently in the aerobic range (130-140 bpm for me), I have seen the weight start to come off.
So don't get discouraged. I can't explain the clothes that don't fit, unless "stuff" is being redistributed, or maybe bigger muscles.

If you don't have one, I recommend a heart rate monitor and work to keep your heart rate in the aerobic range for at least 20 minutes on days you exercise. I think, if you do that, then in a few weeks you'll see weight loss.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Christa said...

I would KILL to have your body!

queen said...

ditto christa!! but i feel your pain. i've gotten so discouraged, i started eating cookies. i know i'll have to quit, but for now, i figured, i was eating great, and not losing weight. so i might as well eat cookies, and not lose weight.

HOWEVER!!!!! MARK PROMISED WE'D LOSE WEIGHT AFTER 3 MONTHS!! SO I'M HOLDING HIM TO IT!!

Chuck Gautier said...

You will be fine. Just get back on the training wagon, and you will be loving life again soon. Watch out for Christa, though!

mag3 said...

Ditto to what Christa said. You do not even look like you had twins less than a year ago. But keep up the pace. You know that I was having a tough week or so. But you made me a promise that you would run intervals with me. I am holding you to it. You can't take back what you did before today. But you can change the thinking TODAY. Just start with baby steps if you need to. I am training with 1 minute running 2 min walking. Email me and I will be happy to come to your neck of the woods and train with you on Sunday!!! I won't take no for an answer. We are each other's support team. See you SUNDAY!!!!!!!