Tuesday, August 21

Who let the dogs out...

That seemed to be the theme for my run on Sunday morning.

I came down with a migraine on Friday afternoon. I hadn't had one like this one ever, and it progressively got worse. When the alarm went off at 3 AM, I was awake, in pain. It finally went away in the afternoon on Saturday.

I got up early Sunday and laced up my shoes, ready to do my 10 mile run. I left my house feeling really good. Around mile 2, I encountered dog#1. It was a small one, and his owner was outside with him. Apparently the man didn't care if his dog bit me or not, he never attempted to get the little pest away from me.

I continued on with my pepper spray in hand, and encountered dog #2. This one was a big one, and he wasn't afraid to get close, and didn't care I had a pretty big stick on my hand. I was ready to spray him and finally he backed away. I continued on, and decided to take a different route back home. I didn't want to push my luck with dog #2.

It was going well and I approached the new route and took it. I had gone a mile down that road, when dogs #3,4,and 5 came out of nowhere. These dogs were huge, about the size of lab each. I think I had a small heartattack right there.

I slowly started to walk away from them, with my pepper spray ready for anything. 2 of the dogs went back to their yards, but one of them followed me pretty closely, growling. I was at the verge of tears. I can run in the rain, with black toenails and blisters. But I cannot handle the thought of 3 dogs mauling me.

I called my husband and asked him to pick me up. The whole time I was on the phone, the dog was close by growling. Several cars drove by and the dumb dog didn't bother to chase them, he just wanted to attack ME!

My husband came to pick me up, and I was only able to do 5 miles. I was so mad! Unfortunately, those dogs were just passed the city limit and apparently dogs can be lose in the county. So I guess from now on, if I have to run, I'll be doing so in the track.

I ran yesterday for about 50 minutes. I stayed away from the roads and it felt so good to run. I guess the "break" I took was needed because I enjoyed the run. Even though it was 95 degrees.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I'm so sorry the dogs ruined your run. I used to get so mad that, when I was walking MY dog, on a leash, that all these other dogs would come along and make a pest of themselves. You should have used the pepper spray! And, I can't believe you could enjoy a run in 95 degree heat!

Kim said...

YIKES!!!! When I used to live in rural Hinds county, we always had to look out for the dang dogs! Glad they didn't maul you, but it really puts a damper on training.

Chuck Gautier said...

You weren't wearing that Ole Miss hat again, were you??? First, the migraine, then the dogs!! Hmmmm.. Seriously, sorry for the bad luck....See ya Saturday!