Tuesday, October 9

Short of a dream

"The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain" ~Kahil Gibran

Here I am, back from Chicago. I thought I'd be blogging about the amazing experience of finishing my very first marathon, rather than about the disappointment of never seeing the finish line.

My emotions are conflicting, on one hand I am proud that I didn't quit. On the other, I'm very upset I didn't get to finish.

I am happy and proud of everyone who finished Chicago on Sunday. I know it was hot and difficult, but you did it and I'm so proud to be associated with such amazing people.

In my heart, I feel I could have been one of those people. Since Sunday's fiasco, I have done a lot of soul searching, a lot of thinking. I don't deal well with failure, and I failed myself Sunday. I failed myself throughout the entire MM training process.

I should have pushed myself out of the comfort zone during the training runs, I should have attempted to increase my running intervals as so many other people did. Instead I settled for my mediocre pace, because it was easier. I had plenty of excuses for why I didn't push harder: the kids, my job, family time. You name it, I used it.

The truth is there are no excuses. Increasing my intervals and getting out of my comfort zone wouldn't have affected my family time or time at work. I just let the excuses shadow the truth: I had settled for less than I was capable of.

I keep replaying Sunday in my head over and over again, and thinking of all the things I could have done differently. Should I have lined up further up in the pack, rather than in the very end? Would that have made a difference as to how far I was in the course when the whole thing was called off?

I see all the testimonials from my fellow MMers about how this program has truly changed their lives and I'm afraid I missed the point. Did I change? I settled for less than what I was able to give, rather than pushing myself farther. The program is awesome, it is me who missed the opportunity to use it to its full advantage.

I have a medal to symbolize the fact I didn't quit, faint, or stop running Sunday. I know everyone will say I did great, but it's hard to get over the fact I disappointed myself. I invested my time and my money, and forgot to invest myself in the process.

I have learned some valuable lessons though. I know now what I will do differently next time. I will push myself harder during training, I will definitely cross train more, and I will line up further up in the pack rather than at the very end.

I will give Chicago another chance. Maybe not next year, but I will return to Chicago and finish all 26.2 miles and wear a medal I truly deserve. My running days are not over, they are just starting.

Thank you to Mark, Robin, Matt, Scotty, Sheila, Clark, you guys are awesome and I couldn't have made it to Chicago without your help. A million thank you don't seem like enough.

Congratulations again to Mandy, who has inspired me more than she'll ever know. I'm so proud to know you and so proud of your accomplishment on Sunday.



6 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Thank you for this blog. You definitly hit my mark. I think not finishing Sunday made me more determined to train harder and fit in those runs and cross training for myself and no one else.
Lee Ann

The Miller's Blog said...

Kayra! What an amazing blog! And what an amazing person you are. I am honored to know you. I saw a saying today that really spoke to me. It said, "If you live life with no regrets, you need to get out more". It made me laugh and made me think about how negative I sounded when I said I will never run another marathon. I think maybe one day I will. A better one. And I will definitely improve my time. You did the best you could on Sunday, and I'm sure about 99% of us feel we could've pushed ourselves a little harder at some point during the past 9 months. But you have a great attitude. You're not afraid to face it head on and try it again. Sunday was beyond anyone's control, but I admire and respect your incredible attitude. I know you will do this again. You definitely have it in you! YOU are an inspiration to ME!! You trained living out of town and with 3 very small kids, and a full time job. That's determination!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I Just Do What I Think I Did? said...

Mandy is totally right. There are not many people in this world who could train for a marathon with 3 small children and a full time job. Don't beat yourself up. There is a time and a season for everything and right now your children are your time and your season. You have plenty of time to run a marathon but your kids will soon be grown and gone. Trust me. Jana

wayne said...

mi neuvo spanish amiga..muchas gracias..mucho gusto..su sposo tambien(grande oso)...

LegalSec said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Before my injury, I could have written every word you wrote. Even during my recovery time I didn't do as much as I should have. But now I have a chance to get it right and you have been an inspiration to me and so many others. I'm proud to have met you and hope we will continue on this journey together!
Sheila

Chuck Gautier said...

Holy Crap, Kayra! Don't you dare beat yourself up over this. I was right there with you and THEY stopped the run, not you! THEY ran out of water, and you were not done. Yeah, we would have had slow times, or been hurting, and maybe we would not have made it. You made it to the starting line, and this thing was not able time, it was about starting a new way of doing things, and you didn't give up. I've told you before you are my hero just for showing up, and having those little twins at home. Be proud of what you did. Yeah, I am disappointed too, but you have to know you are a better person for coming this far, and I am proud to say I was there, and had the chance to walk on back with you and Christa.