Friday, October 12

A time for everything

A Time for Everything
There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiates 3: 1-8

After a lot of soul searching and a lot of praying, I have decided I will not be running the MS Blues Marathon.

I trained for 9 months and attempted something most people never even think to try. I didn't finish, but I came closer to my goal than I ever thought.

As much as I would love to train for the MS marathon, the fact is my kids need me. I have missed out so much the last 9 months while in training, and I don't want to sacrifice my time with them in the next few months for my own selfish reasons.

Yes, I want to complete a marathon. But there will be others, and Mark/Robin/Matt/Scotty will be doing this for years to come so I can always join them later.

But now is my time to do things with my kids. The holidays are big at our house, lots of cooking and baking and now that Candace is old enough to help out, I want to spend that time cooking with her. I want to start teaching her to read in Spanish and take them to swimming lessons.

It is time for me to put aside my training and focus on doing things for them and with them. I'm not giving up running, just taking the next year to run for fun and travel with the kids. We are planning to go to Disney World and then later on go to Panama.

So there will be no Chicago '08 for me either. I think it's the best decision for me at this time. But I will be there, God willing, ready to start training for Chicago '09. I hope many of you will be there, because this has been an awesome group and I want to stay in touch with you for many more years to come.

Those of you running the MS Blues Marathon, I will be there to cheer you on, pom poms included!

9 comments:

cjonesrun said...

With no reservation at all, I "high five" your decision! Trust me, these are the most precious years of your life...spending time with your children and sacrificing for them is something you won't regret. As you know, I am doing this with "grown" sons, so there is plenty of time for you to do a marathon later. I sure hope our paths will cross again one day. If you go to law school maybe you can help me with my estate planning. :)

Ann and Bob said...

I completely understand and think you have made a wise decision. Your kids will grow up before you eyes... the pavement will be there forever. I have truly enjoyed getting to know you and admire you for all that you do.

The Miller's Blog said...

Kayra, you are making the right decision. I applaud you. It is very hard to train with children, especially on Saturday mornings when they have soccer games, ect. You will never be able to get those years back. Enjoy them. Let's stay in touch. Maybe we could even get the kids together for a playdate! And hopefully I will see you in 2009. Of course, we will be seeing each other before then!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Simpson said...

We will miss you, but first of all being a Marriage & Family Therapist, I applaud your commitment to your family. We will be here when you are ready for another marathon!

Cro-Magnon said...

Babies don't stay babies forever and as you realize they are small only once! Hope I can be walking around with my walker & O2 bottle doing marathons when you come back!

Anonymous said...

I respect your decision and for putting life in balance for you and your family. You are awesome and I have enjoyed knowing you this year. God bless. Suzanne

LegalSec said...

I really admire your decision and dedication to your family, not just your children, but your entire family. Your children will be grown before you can "turn around twice" and they will remember what you did for them when they were young. It sounds like you'll be running marathons with them when they reach that age. How amazing would that be? Running Chicago with all three of your children! You have inspired us all with your example! Keep in touch through your wonderful blogs and I hope to see you again soon.
Sheila

catseye said...

You absolutely, postitively have your priorities straight!
Looking forward to seeing you at the Halloween party!

Christa said...

Again I'm crying like a baby! This is such a beautifully written post and the subject matter just makes me cry. I totally understand and support your decision. I'm still amazed at how you did it in the first place. I'll do Chicago '09 with you and I am not kidding!!!!!!!!!! I just love you Kayra. I'm so glad we've become such good friends!!!!!!