Sunday, July 8

It is hard to believe we completed 15 miles in the rain!!! I had missed the last 3 long runs, so I was a bit hesitant about this one. Thank you to Christa for making me push myself out of the comfort zone. I did the same intervals as her most of the distance. I don't know how you do it Christa, but as we get closer to the end, you get more energy!!

so here is a list of lessons learned while running in the rain.
  • Running in the rain is fun. Running with wet shoes/socks isn't. It makes for good XT though.
  • I hope it rains the day we do 22 miles.
  • I need new shoes. My knees are achy today and I am sure it's the shoes.
  • You CAN push thru the pain and discomfort and achieve your goal.
  • I found my mantras, the ones that keep me going "No pain, no gain", "you can do this, you gave birth to 3 kids", "do this for Lillian (see insert at the bottom of the blog", and "remember Uncle Jimmy".
  • It was such an amazing sight to see all these people, in the dark, getting ready to run. What an inspiration!
  • I enjoyed seeing the faster people waiting on us, the slow ones, and cheering us on.
  • Chicago is going to be an amazing experience. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

7 comments:

The Miller's Blog said...

You did it! Glad you were able to make it to the run Saturday! As far as the new shoes: i need some also, BUT I mentioned to Mark having knee pain myself, and he said a lot of times hamstrings and quads aren't getting stretched adequately. Then I asked my husband about it (he used to be a certified personal trainer--I forget about that sometimes when I need advice) and he said the same things--and went over some stretches with me, and watched me do them--the correct way--not Mandy's way! ;-)

But, I know new shoes are needed for other reasons, but just haven't had the extra dough to get some--so, I've been taking Aleeve before the runs....

Way to go Marathoner!!!!!!!!!!

VICKIE said...

i had new shoes on yesterday,, they are not new anymore, ha
you looked good out there yesterday, we were soaked puppy dogs werent we, ha
hope you have a good week
see ya saturday
vickie

Debra said...

Hi Kayra:
I like your list of lessons!It was a great day, and I wouldn't mind a repeat for our 22 miles also.

Debra
FStop

cjonesrun said...

You looked great out there yesterday! I went to the CFC link to learn more about little Lillian's diagnosis. Wow, that is very rare with only 200-300 people affected world-wide. It is wonderful that there is a support group formed. I definitely thought of Uncle Jimmy yesterday when my feet and legs were killing me near the end. I loved your goals for this lifetime. I, too, would like to learn to swim and I USED to want to skydive, but that is no longer a desire, for some reason. Anyway, have a good training week!

nissannurse said...

Great blog. Thanks for the inspiration!! : )

Christa said...

Oh, my gosh, you are so sweet, but did you realize that right in the middle, you passed me and pushed me out of my comfort zone? It was when we met up with Shelley and she was walking 'cause of her hurt knee. I was tired and thought I'd walk the rest of the way with her. Then I saw you zoom by me and it's then that you pulled me like you say I did you. We're a great team, aren't we???!! I love running with you my friend, especially in the rain!!!!

Kim said...

You're right about how uncomfortable shoes & socks get in the rain. That's why I play in the rain in my bare feet! :)